May 4, 2013

Red Pepper & Feta Pasta

I love the combination of roasted red peppers and feta cheese. I had a couple of jars of red peppers in my pantry, and some feta in my fridge, so I turned them into a simple, yummy sauce for pasta. Jerry and I both loved this dish! The red pepper flakes make it a little spicy, and it goes really well with the sweet roasted peppers. This is written for two main dish servings, but you could easily double it.


Red Pepper & Feta Pasta

6 oz. dry pasta
2 tsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 (12 oz) jar of roasted red peppers
1/4 cup fat-free half & half
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 oz. fat free feta cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook until softened, a few minutes. Drain the roasted pepper and add them to the pot, along with the half and half. Use an immersion blender to puree (or put everything in a food processor or blender, puree, and then put back in the pot). Add salt and pepper to taste, and the crushed red pepper flakes. Let the pepper mixture simmer for a minute, and then stir in the feta cheese and cooked pasta, and toss to coat.  Makes 2 servings (approximately 1-1/4 cups per serving, depending on the shape of pasta used).


4 comments:

  1. I just bought a jar of roasted red peppers and I think I'll give your recipe a try. I'm not a fan of feta cheese--do you think I could substitute low fat whipped cream cheese??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie; Did you ever think of replacing Spaghetti Squash in place of the pasta recipes? If you haven't tried it you should. I didn't think I would ever like it but it is very filling and a lot less carbohydrates,
    .A.bloom aprilsinbloom@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. dumpster, do you like goat cheese? I could see that working really well.

    This recipe looks so good. I'm going to try it this weekend. I haven't had pasta in months. :)

    ReplyDelete