August 17, 2011

Lentil Chili

My family and I like to eat meatless a few times a week, to save money (and because we enjoy it). I've developed a love for lentils because of this, and this lentil recipe is a GREAT way to convert meat lovers to eating meatless for at least one meal :)  The way I make this, it technically isn't vegetarian--because I use beef broth--but you could easily make this vegan by using vegetable broth.



Lentil Chili

1 lb. brown lentils
6 cups beef broth (or veg broth)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Combine everything in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to med-low (simmer) and cook until the lentils are soft, about 45 minutes. If it gets too thick, you can add some water to it while it's cooking. Serve with cheese, onions, and sour cream. Yum!  Yields 9 cups.

Per cup:

4 comments:

  1. omg you have a recipe blog too!! I just heart you so much!! I'm vegetarian too so this is super exciting for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made this yummy soup exactly to the recipe and love it. yesterday I didn't have lentils on hand, but had all the other ingredients and used a 1 lb. bag of Black-eyed peas instead of the lentils. I also threw in a small can of Ortega chopped green chile. Topped each bowl with fat free cheddar cheese and 1/4 cubed avocado. who knew? Black-eyed pea chili! It was really good and a great way to use a healthy cheap bean/pea I never usually eat. Thanks, Katie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of pounds of black-eyed peas and have been looking for something to do with them! I'm going to give it a try :) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I made this recipe today for supper and it was DELICIOUS! I am vegan but my family is not and they all enjoyed it. I just subbed the beef broth for veggie broth as per your suggestion and added some chili sauce. My meat loving husband enjoyed it immensely and went for seconds! The best of it all: my 3 year old picky toddler gobbled it up. I served it with Louisiana cornbread. Thanks for the amazing recipe Katie!

    ReplyDelete