August 17, 2011

Cabbage Casserole

This has very few ingredients, but it tastes AWESOME--just like stuffed cabbage, only without all the work. You can eat it as-is, or serve it over rice, which is my favorite way to eat it.



1 head of cabbage (whatever size you want, depending how much you like cabbage)
1 lb. lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 onion, chopped
1 can condensed tomato soup (I use the Campbell's healthy request)
salt and pepper, to taste
cooked rice, optional

Remove the core from the cabbage and coarsely chop the whole head. In a skillet, cook the beef and onion until the beef is browned. Spread half of chopped cabbage into a large casserole dish. Cover with the meat mixture. Top with the remaining cabbage (you may have to pack it down--it looks like a TON of cabbage, but it shrinks down a lot while cooking). Pour tomato soup over the top, and spread it around. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr and 15 minutes (more or less, depending on how soft you like the cabbage to be). Serve over rice.

7 comments:

  1. I make a similar version of this - except I put it in my crock pot with tomatoes instead of the soup.... and add rice right to it. We call it "cabbage role casserole". Super easy - and super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When using a crock pot, are the measurements the same? How long is cooking time in crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The measurements are the same. I'm not sure how long the cooking time was (I've only made it in the crock pot a couple of times), but I would guess about 6 hours on low...? Just be careful not to OVERcook it, like I did once, because the cabbage tastes awful when you cook it that long (I think it had been in the crock pot for about 8-10 hours)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. One-sixth of the recipe. The measurement can vary, depending on how big your head of cabbage is; so I just divide into 6 equal portions.

      Delete
  4. I made this today for the first (but not the last) time. Roomie and I thought it was absolutely yummy. I served it with Multi grain medley containing brown rice, red rice, wild rice and quinoa. Leftovers is tomorrow's dinner. Next time, I will make double the recipe and use leftovers for lunches. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is SO GOOD!!! I absolutely love cabbage rolls...but what a pain to make! This recipe is a perfect substitute!

    ReplyDelete